Because sometimes you just need to have a little indulgence….
Don’t be fooled though, vegan desserts and snacks are not always healthier – yes they are from whole food sources but they can also typically be quite energy dense. That doesn’t mean you have to forego your sweet craving though!
It is all about balance 😊 learning how to eat mindfully, be portion wise and eat guilt free! The great thing about a slice is that you can cut them up into bite size pieces so that you can practice these strategies, freeze half the batch or take to work (just don’t tell them its vegan until AFTER they tell you how good it tastes!)
- 75 g Pitted Dates
- 50 g Rolled Oats, raw
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp Maca Powder
THE COCONUT MIDDLE:
- 40 g Coconut Oil
- 30 g Maple Syrup
- 80 g Desiccated Coconut
THE CHOCOLATEY TOP:
- 75 g Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate
- 50 g Dairy-Free White Chocolate (if you cannot find, use a hazelnut or lighter coloured chocolate to still get the marble effect)
- 1 tsp Cacao Nibs
- Start by adding all the base ingredients into a blender/food processor. Keep 20g of the oats to the side for later. Blend well until a sticky dough forms, then transfer to a bowl and add in the remaining oats using your hands to combine.
- Transfer and press the base mixture into a baking tin lined with baking baking paper. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes to chill.
- For the coconut layer use a medium-sized microwaveable bowl and melt the coconut oil. Mix in the maple syrup and desiccated coconut and stir to combine. Press the coconut mixture on top of the base layer and return to the freezer for a further 10 minutes.
- Lastly, for the chocolate layer you will need to melt both chocolates in separate small microwave-safe bowls. Start by spreading the dark chocolate on top of the coconut layer, then dollop the white/lighter brown chocolate on top. Use a toothpick to quickly swirl the chocolates together creating a marbled effect. Sprinkle all over with the cacao nibs and return to the freezer for a further 15 minutes or until firm.
- Remove from the freezer, wait a few minutes before slicing, then cut into 16 portion-wise squares. Enjoy with a peppermint tea!
Eating is all about balance, if you are unsure how to incorporate foods like this into your diet or wish to learn some mindful eating strategies book an appointment with Renee today.