Need a quick, and healthy dinner option? This delicious tofu stir-fry will surely do the trick. Packed with protein, iron, calcium and fibre it will no doubt become a weekly favourite.
Perfect for the busy corporate as well as the whole family. Why not cook double and have leftovers for lunch?
4 cups of broccoli
3 cloves garlic
1 cup of asparagus
300g firm tofu
1 cup vegetable stock
1/2 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp soy sauce, salt reduced
1 tbsp peanut oil
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 ½ tbsp corn-starch
¼ tsp sea salt, idolised
1 cup whole wheat cous cous
1/2 cup chopped/halved cashews, raw
1. Prepare couscous following the packet instructions, however using 1 cup of vegetable stock and 1tsp soy sauce for the water required.
2. Combine tofu (drained and cubed), cornstarch and garlic powder in bowl and evenly coat.
3. Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat and add the coated tofu and fry stirring often to avoid sticking. Continue until tofu is golden brown and crispy, then set aside.
4. Mix brown sugar and hot water until dissolved, then add lemon juice and soy sauce and set aside.
5. Using the same pan used for the tofu, add a little more oil and add the broccoli and asparagus. Stiry fry for a few minutes then cover and cook for another 2-3 until the vegetables are tender.
6. Add cashews, minced garlic and stir well. Cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
7. Add the tofu and sauce mixture then stir until well combined for another few minutes and the sauce has reduced.
8. Serve over couscous and add sesame seeds and sriracha to taste.
What’s your favourite stir-fry combo?
Posted by our accredited sports dietitian Renee
For more information on our services please visit our nutrition & dietitian page