Are you entertaining this New Year's Eve?
Our resident dietitian and nutritionist Kiah Paetz has the perfect plant based healthy recipe that will go down a treat with your guests!
Crispy tofu rice paper rolls with sweet satay dip
- 2 cup fresh baby spinach
- ½ red capsicum, thinly sliced
- ½ carrot, thinly sliced
- ½ Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- 6 sheets Vietnamese rice paper
- 150g tofu, sliced lengthways into small rectangles
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce or tamari (if gluten free)
- 1 tsp olive oil
Sweet satay sauce
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari (if gluten free)
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Hot water to thin
- Heat a large fry pan with oil over medium heat. Add in tofu strips and cook for 5-10 minutes, rotating until completely browned.
- In the last 1-2 minutes, reduce heat on frying pan and add soy sauce. Allow soy sauce to soak through tofu. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare dipping sauce by whisking together peanut butter, soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce until smooth. Add hot water until mixture reaches desired consistency.
- Prepare a large bowl of lukewarm water to soften rice paper in.
- One at a time, submerge rice paper into water for about 5-10 seconds until soft
- Place a small bed of cabbage, coriander and spinach leaves in the middle of the rice paper. Top with small amounts of every other ingredient; carrot, cucumber, tofu, capsicum and avocado.
- Roll rice paper roll up (bottom up, sides in and roll to close)
Serve with sweet satay sauce.